40 Berkeley – Boston’s Best Hostel!
Quality Accommodations on a Budget
Liz and I decided to take a last minute trip into Boston this weekend for a special “Weekend in Boston” project that I’m currently working on. We knew that we would need to find somewhere to rest our heads for the night but we weren’t ready to face the prices of a hotel in Downtown Boston.
After some quick research, I stumbled upon 40 Berkeley, a hip hostel in the South End of Downtown Boston. From what I could see, it looked as if 40 Berkeley’s location would integrate perfectly with the plans that we had lined up for the weekend.
Upon arriving at 40 Berkeley, we were greeted by a friendly staff member who handed us our key, along with a small brochure which listed all the important information about the hostel as well as the amenities that were included in our stay. Yes, I said it. Amenities!
As soon as we stepped foot in our room we knew we felt right at home. Sure, the rooms are a bit on the small side. Although, we have stayed in hostels and guesthouses all over the world and I can’t think of many rooms that we’ve stayed in that were as clean and bright as the rooms at 40 Berkeley.
The room was equipped with a queen bed, desk, lamp, small bureau, hanging wall mirror, full closet/wardrobe, fresh towels. No TV here, but who needs one?
I should also mention that there are no en-suite bathrooms. There is a large shared bathroom located on each floor of 40 Berkeley. One for males and one for females, of course!
40 Berkeley is located in Boston’s South End. Nearby, you can find all of the nightlife, restaurants and shopping you could ever ask for. You’re within 10 minutes walking distance to Boston’s Public Gardens as well as the Boston Commons. 5-10 minutes to Copley Square and another few minutes to Newbury Street, Boston’s most expensive and glitzy shopping avenue.
- Complimentary Breakfast - Menu includes full buffet and eggs made-to-order.
- Free Wi-Fi everywhere in the building
- Dinner is available daily, eat-in or take-out. Menu includes specials.
- 24-hour reception services include telephone answering and tourist information
- 24-hour security
- Laundry facilities
- Light house-keeping
- Irons available upon request
As someone who works on the internet, having FREE Wi-Fi was incredibly helpful.
I also found the complimentary breakfast yet another amenity that’s hard to find in most hostels/hotels. This wasn’t one of those “continental breakfasts”. 40 Berkeley provides a buffet style breakfast that includes: Omelets, bacon, homefries, pancakes, toast, fresh fruit, belgian waffles, an assortment of juices, coffee, tea, and more!
This amenity alone will save you a lot of money due to the fact that you won’t have to spend money on breakfast each morning!
Free Pass Program:
Book a room at 40 Berkeley and they’ll throw in a FREE pass to one of Boston’s top attractions*:
- New England Aquarium - $22.95 value
- Museum of Science - $22 value
- Harvard Museum of Natural History - $9 value
- Prudential Skywalk - $13 value
- Loew’s Boston Common Theatre - $12 value
Additional passes are available at substantial discounts. Be sure to pick up your free pass at check-in.
*Offered with standard rate rooms only. 1 pass per room. Offer subject to change.
Don’t miss these 40 Berkeley Specials.
- Standard Full Room (Full or Queen Bed) : $55 USD/night weekdays. $59/night on Weekends
- 40 Berkeley has various room options and prices. View your options at 40Berkeley.com.
- Telephone : 617.375.2524
- Address: 40 Berkeley Street Boston, MA 02116
- Website: 40 Berkeley
- Facebook: 40 Berkeley on Facebook
- Twitter: @40Berkeley