Table of Contents
Last updated: July 14th, 2020
Mexico City Airport Taxi Scams
All it takes is a quick Google search to find thread upon thread about tourists getting scammed by a Mexico City airport taxi driver.
In order to avoid any and all headaches involving airport taxis from Benito Juarez International Airport, simply use Uber.
? Don’t Miss: The Best Time to Visit Mexico City
Uber Mexico City
Uber is by far the best and safest option for getting to and from the Mexico City International Airport.
It’s also my preferred way to get around Mexico City in general.
Well, other than renting electric scooters in Mexico City, that is.
Why use UBER?
It’s fast, it’s extremely cheap (rides start at around 35MXN) and you’re pretty much guaranteed to get a respectful and responsible driver at your service thanks to Uber’s excellent feedback system which strives to keep its drivers accountable.
All drivers are reviewed at the end of each trip by a star rating (1-5).
If a driver gets too many
The best part about using Uber in Mexico City is that you can get a discount of 150 MXN OFF Your First THREE Uber Rides by using my special promo code: JA48OR
All you have to do to get your first free ride is download and install the UBER app and once you
Once here, you can enter the promo code JA48OR and get 3 ride credits of $50 pesos each off (150 MXN value).
Mexico City Airport Taxis
If you don’t own a smartphone OR you simply prefer to take taxis, please follow this step-by-step tutorial below which explains how to find the safest and most reliable authorized Mexico City airport taxi.
Step 1. Once you arrive at Terminal 1 (T1) or Terminal 2 (T2), proceed to one of the many ATM machines available.
You’ll want to take out at least enough for the taxi fare (200-300 pesos), plus a little more cash in case you get yourself caught in a bind.
Step 2. Now that you have your pesos in hand, you’ll want to locate one of the authorized taxi booths before exiting the terminal.
Step 3. Have the address of your hotel or Airbnb ready for the attendant.
? Don’t Miss: 8 of the Best Airbnb Experiences in Mexico City
They will enter in the address details and it will produce a receipt for you based on the zone you’re traveling to.
Note: Your fare may vary depending on where your accommodations are located.
Step 5. Now that you’ve got your prepaid taxi slip in hand, walk around the corner and look for the nearest attendant associated with your chosen taxi company.
Show them your slip and they will assist you to the next taxi that pulls up.
- Avoid any Mexico City Airport Taxi touts that approach you inside the terminal. These guys are in on the scams will likely set you up with a corrupt taxi driver.
- If you’re asked if you need a taxi, simply reply with a “No, gracias.” and they will leave you alone.
- Be sure to have the name of your hotel, the address and the phone number of your hotel handy at all times. If your driver gets lost for any reason, you can simply hand him the phone number and he will put in a call to your hotel.
- You can pay your taxi fare in dollars at the booth but it’s always best to pay in the local currency no matter where you are in the world. Do yourself a favor and pull out at least a few hundred pesos for your trip.
Alternative Methods of Transportation
There are a few different types of transportation that run to/from Mexico City’s Benito Juarez International Airport. You can travel by:
- Uber (promo code: JA48OR for $50 MXN OFF your first three rides ($150 MXN value)
- Private transfer
- City taxi
- Authorized taxi
- Metro bus
- Mexico City’s metro system from Terminal 1
If you would like to travel to Mexico City by metro, you should be confident in your Spanish speaking skills and have little to no luggage, otherwise it’s probably not worth the hassle.
The metro should cost approximately 5 MXN pesos.
You can also travel to centro historico by Mexico City’s metro bus system for a cost of around 40 pesos (including the pre-paid smart card).
If you would like to submit any photos or updated information to make this article any more helpful, please feel free to contact me.