Table of Contents
Last Updated: March 2nd, 2020
BKK to DMK — In this short tutorial, you will learn how to transfer from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to Don Muang Airport (DMK) or vice-versa for free using the complimentary shuttle bus.
This resource page will prove to be really handy for those of you planning on traveling within Thailand or other parts of SEAsia on a budget airline such as AirAsia, Nok Air or One-Two-Go.
In order to move between both airports you’ll need to know how to take advantage of the free shuttle bus that runs between the BKK and DMK airports or vice versa DMK to BKK.
How to Get From BKK to DMK for Free
There are two airports in Bangkok, the main airport, Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) which services all major airlines and Don Mueang Airport (DMK) which now serves all of Asia’s budget airlines.
Prior to the change of operations back in October 2012, you were able to fly budget airlines such as AirAsia, Nok Air and One-Two-Go to and from BKK airport but since the big move you now have to make your way over to Don Muang Airport to catch your next budget flight.
The problem with this change is that taxis and tuk-tuk rides between airports can be costly and often scammy. Fortunately, there’s an alternative way to get to and from BKK and DMK airports and best of all, it’s free!
Free Shuttle Transfer from BKK to DMK
Follow the instructions below and learn how you can easily make your way from BKK to DMK airport (or vice versa) for FREE!
1. If you’re flying into BKK, pass through Immigration, grab your bags and head for the exit. Once you exit immigration, you should be on Floor 2. Double check signage to make sure you’re on the second floor of BKK airport.
2. When you enter the arrivals hall (Floor 2), ignore all signs pointing you towards public transportation, buses, etc. Simply walk straight until you see Door 3 on your left hand side.
3. Exit the airport via Door 3 and turn right. You’ll see a little table with a few people standing around. Ask them for the free shuttle to Don Mueang Airport.
Below, you’ll find the latest shuttle updates from our readers.
UPDATE June 14th, 2019: One of our readers has informed us that they exited Gate 3, showed their boarding pass and were immediately allowed to board the shuttle bus. Total transfer time between BKK and DMK at 9:30PM was 48 minutes. (Credit: Punit Singh 6/14/2019)
UPDATE – December 3rd, 2019: Another reader just sent us an email letting us know that they used Gate 3 to exit the airport and they were able to board the shuttle bus immediately. They used the shuttle two times during their stay and their total transfer time between BKK and DMK and DMK back to BKK was 55 minutes. (Credit: Robert 12/3/2019)
UPDATE – January 16th, 2020: The shuttle bus from DMK to SUV can be found on ground floor Terminal 1 (because there are 2 terminals in DMK).
1. 12/15/2019 from BKK (@16:30) to DMK took 50 min.
2. 12/31/2019 from DMK (@18:30) to BKK also took about 50 min.
(Credit: Annamarija 1/16/2020)
UPDATE – March 2nd, 2020: The desk where you need to show boarding pass for the next flight is inside the terminal (just next to exit 6). When they validate the boarding pass, they will stamp your hand. The bus driver verifies stamps when entering the bus (it stops just nearby – outside of exit 6).
(Credit: Ewa 3/2/2020)
Note: If you find that the information above has changed or you had a different experience, please feel free to leave a comment below or contact me with the latest information.
4. Before boarding the bus, the staff will ask you for your boarding pass and/or flight itinerary. I’m guessing the reason that you’re heading to DMK is because you have a flight with a budget airline departing from DMK, correct? If so, show them your boarding pass, flight itinerary, or e-ticket and you’ll be all set.
5. Once the free shuttle bus arrives, you’ll be on your way to DMK airport in no time. The official time from BKK to DMK airport or vice versa is around 50 minutes but can be up to 2 hours depending on time of day and traffic conditions. Be sure to plan accordingly.
Note: Your flight itinerary must be for the same day or the following day in order to be eligible to transfer between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport for free.
Are you looking for details on how to get from DMK to BKK? If so, I’ve got you covered below.
Free Shuttle from DMK to BKK Airport
For those of you who are arriving to Don Muang Airport and want to get a free shuttle transfer from DMK to Bangkok Airport, the process works the same exact way, just in the opposite direction.
UPDATE: The free shuttle from DMK airport to BKK airport can be found outside of the ground floor of Terminal 1.
Shuttle Bus Schedule
Below you’ll find the free shuttle bus schedule from DMK to BKK. This schedule is identical to the BKK to DMK schedule. The shuttle runs daily from 5am to Midnight.
- The distance between Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and Don Muang Airport (DMK) is 29.5 miles (47.5 km).
- The free shuttle that runs to and from BKK and DMK has a transfer time of anywhere from 50 minutes to two hours depending on time of day and traffic.
- Taxi rates between BKK and DMK or vice versa should run approximately 350-450 baht. There will be some small toll fees in addition to the fare (approx 60-65 thb).
- There is a public bus (#554 & #555) that runs between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport. The fare is approx. 35 baht. If you have luggage, it’s best to use an alternative options.
- Buses that depart from Don Mueang Airport (DMK) and arrive at BKK and drop off at level 4, gate 5.
Grab Taxi (Alternative Method of Transport)
If you’re in a rush and need to get to DMK as soon as possible, it might be smart to order a Grab taxi.
Grab Taxi Estimate from BKK to DMK Airport: 306 THB – Approx. $10 USD
Help Us Keep This Page Updated
If you find any of the information on this page to be incorrect, please feel free to contact me with me your latest trip updates.
The reason why this continues to be the best resource for information regarding the free shuttle to and from BKK and DMK airports is because of you, the readers, who continually send updates with door changes, schedule updates, and more.
Hotels Near BKK and DMK
I’ve decided to add this new hotels near BKK and DMK section as a resource for those of you who have extended layovers and stopovers in Bangkok and are looking for a place to lay your head. I hope you find it useful.
Below you’ll find a widget where you can search for cheap hotels near BKK and DMK airport.