BKK to DMK — In this short tutorial, you will learn how to transfer from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to Don Muang Airport (DMK) or vice-versa for free using the complimentary shuttle bus.
This resource page will prove to be really handy for those of you planning on traveling within Thailand or other parts of SEAsia on a budget airline such as AirAsia, Nok Air or One-Two-Go.
In order to move between both airports you’ll need to know how to take advantage of the free shuttle bus that runs between the BKK and DMK airports or vice versa DMK to BKK.
Table of Contents
How to Get From BKK to DMK for Free
There are two airports in Bangkok, the main airport, Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) which services all major airlines and Don Mueang Airport (DMK) which now serves all of Asia’s budget airlines.
Prior to the change of operations back in October 2012, you were able to fly budget airlines such as AirAsia, Nok Air and One-Two-Go to and from BKK airport but since the big move you now have to make your way over to Don Muang Airport to catch your next budget flight.
The problem with this change is that taxis and tuk-tuk rides between airports can be costly and often scammy. Fortunately, there’s an alternative way to get to and from BKK and DMK airports and best of all, it’s free!
Note: Don’t miss this special Uber promo to get your first ride FREE (up to 200 THB)!
Free Shuttle Transfer from BKK to DMK
Follow the instructions below and learn how you can easily make your way from BKK to DMK airport (or vice versa) for FREE!
1. If you’re flying into BKK, pass through Immigration, grab your bags and head for the exit. Once you exit immigration, you should be on Floor 2. Double check signage to make sure you’re on the second floor of BKK airport.
2. When you enter the arrivals hall (Floor 2), ignore all signs pointing you towards public transportation, buses, etc. Simply walk straight until you see Door 3 on your left hand side.
3. Exit the airport via Door 3 and turn right. You’ll see a little table with a few people standing around. Ask them for the free shuttle to Don Mueang Airport.
UPDATE: The latest update I’ve received indicates that the free shuttle bus now picks up in front of Door #3 at BKK airport.(Credit: Then Chong 6/12/2016.)
If you have found that this has changed please feel free to leave a comment below or contact me with the latest information.
4. Before boarding the bus, the staff will ask you for your boarding pass and/or flight itinerary. I’m guessing the reason that you’re heading to DMK is because you have a flight with a budget airline departing from DMK, correct? If so, show them your boarding pass, flight itinerary, or e-ticket and you’ll be all set.
5. Once the free shuttle bus arrives, you’ll be on your way to DMK airport in no time. The official time from BKK to DMK airport or vice versa is around 50 minutes but can be up to 2 hours depending on time of day and traffic conditions. Be sure to plan accordingly.
Note: Your flight itinerary must be for the same day or the following day in order to be eligible to transfer between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport for free.
Are you looking for details on how to get from DMK to BKK? If so, I’ve got you covered below.
Free Shuttle from DMK to BKK Airport
For those of you who are arriving to Don Muang Airport and want to get a free shuttle transfer to BKK, the process works the same exact way, just in the opposite direction. The free shuttle from DMK airport to BKK airport can be found outside of Door #6. (Credit: Dominik 4/22/16.)
Shuttle Bus Schedule
Below you’ll find the free shuttle bus schedule from DMK to BKK. This schedule is identical to the BKK to DMK schedule. The shuttle runs daily from 5am to Midnight.
- The distance between Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and Don Muang Airport (DMK) is 29.5 miles (47.5 km).
- The free shuttle that runs to and from BKK and DMK has a transfer time of anywhere from 50 minutes to two hours depending on time of day and traffic.
- Taxi rates between BKK and DMK or vice versa should run approximately 350-450 baht. There will be some small toll fees in addition to the fare (approx 60-65 thb).
- There is a public bus (#554 & #555) that runs between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport. The fare is approx. 35 baht. If you have luggage, it’s best to use an alternative options.
- Buses that depart from Don Mueang Airport (DMK) and arrive at BKK and drop off at level 4, gate 5.
UBER Bangkok (Alternative)
Did you know Uber serves the city of Bangkok? If not, now you know. What’s even better is that you can get your first ride free (up to 200 baht) when signing up for a new Uber account.
All you have to do to take advantage of this deal is the following:
If you already downloaded the Uber app, CLICK HERE and follow the simple step-by-step instructions to receive your 200 THB credit towards your first ride.
If you’d prefer to sign up for a new Uber account using the web based version then go ahead and CLICK HERE.
Uber Estimate from BKK to DMK Airport: 445 THB (-200THB Uber Promo = 245 THB or approximately $7 USD).
Help Us Keep This Page Updated
If you find any of the information on this page to be incorrect, please feel free to contact me with me your latest trip updates. The reason why this continues to be the best resource for information regarding the free shuttle to and from BKK and DMK airports is because of you, the readers, who continually send updates with door changes, schedule updates, and more.
Hotels Near BKK and DMK
I’ve decided to add this new hotels near BKK and DMK section as a resource for those of you who have extended layovers and stopovers in Bangkok and are looking for a place to lay your head. I hope you find it useful.
Below you’ll find a widget where you can search for cheap hotels near BKK and DMK airport.
BKK to DMK Shuttle Map
Last Updated: 8/2/2016